A balanced diet is essential no matter your age, but as we become older, it’s necessary to check the food intake. The nutrients needed at that age can make a difference between being healthy and suffer from several conditions. However, over the years, some food is no longer healthy for us. For that reason, we are talking today about the best diet for older adults, for yourself or those closer to you.
Reasons to change your diet as you get older
One of the main reasons to change your diet is the different conditions associated with age, like osteoporosis, high blood pressure, heart diseases, and even diabetes. But it can also be hard to enjoy this new diet, because our bodies and life change forcibly; some of those new changes are:
- Living alone: many of our elders are living alone, which makes it hard for them to cook or getting the proper food for a healthy diet. Besides, some of their conditions increase this difficulty.
- Medicines: the intake of medication according to health conditions can change your taste, making your mouth dry or decreasing your appetite.
- Income: aging also implies being retired, and sometimes this brings less money income. That makes it difficult to buy healthy food.
- Problems with teeth: getting older also presents issues with teeth; many elders change their teeth for a prosthesis, but it gets hard to become used to it, so eating is no longer a pleasure.
So with these problems and the health conditions, getting a healthy diet and change the lifestyle of our elders is very complicated. But it is not impossible; be with them and help them to understand that their bodies are no longer young, they need different nutrients with healthy food.
The best diet for older adults
You can start to change your diet with these tips, while you are getting older, but also accepting your age is a huge step to be comfortable with these changes. Take these into action and enjoy your new diet.
- Lots of nutrients: food that brings many nutrients without that extra calories are perfect for a healthy diet. In this group, you can find fruits and vegetables, whole grains, cereals, low or free-fat dairy products, seafood, eggs, beans, seeds, and nuts.
- Empty calories: even when we enjoy this type of food, it’s a group that doesn’t apport any nutrients, but sometimes you can enjoy a little bit of them. Here you can find chips, candies, sodas, sweets, and alcohol.
- Low cholesterol and fat: usually, we are used to eating trans and saturated fats, the first are known as processed fats: stick margarine and vegetable shortening. While the latter is the one that comes from animals, others can be fried and fast foods.
- Liquids: drink plenty of water and natural juices, they are a must in every healthy diet. But with age, people tend to lose the sense of thirst; be very careful with that and try to schedule your water intake.
- Physical exercises: if you practice physical activities, your appetite can increase, because the body will need to replenish nutrients, so it can be useful to walk or even swim before eating.
As you can see, being older is not easy, but every elder needs help and company to feel better; a proper nutrition can improve this, and even increase how they feel with themselves. Come to 1111 Peruvian Bistro; we are waiting for you to visit us and enjoy the different dishes we prepare with the best quality for the taste of our commensals.
Facebook: 1111 Peruvian Bistro
Twitter : @1111perubistro